Friday 10 November 2017

Stencil It! at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog

Hello everyone, I hope you've had a good week and had some time for crafting as I have. It's been really great to have a bit more time to create as I do these days although some of it is still under wraps and can't be shared just yet!

We have a new challenge for you today over at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog where for the next fortnight, our theme is Stencil It! We would like to see you using at least one stencil on whatever you decide to make.

My inspiration is a mixed media art panel that I really enjoyed creating as my love of vintage has resurfaced due to wanting to use one of the fabulous Tim Holtz paper dolls, in my case a rather lovely couple.


I started off with an 8x8 MDF panel which I covered with a coat of white gesso. I then used the big floral stencil with texture paste to add a pattern on the left side. Once the paste was dry, I mixed white multi surface with a little red to make pink and also some white with a little teal and purple to make a soft blue. I then brushed the paints roughly over the panel to colour it.
I stamped some script across the top and partly down the right side. I used a Tim Holtz Mixed Media die to cut a pattern out of a piece of recycled corrugated card and then used it as a stencil to add a pattern on the right side with some chestnut brown multi surface paint mixed with white.


I dragged the corrugated panel together with some butterflies, leaves and leftover swirls from mixed media cut outs through the leftover soft blue and pink paints to add some shabby chic colour.


I next painted a size 2 MDF art panel with a coat of gesso. Once dry, I painted it soft blue and pink, adding reverse stencilling by brayering a little cream paint (white multi surface paint with a dash of yellow) on to the big floral stencil and pressing it on the panel to transfer the paint. I rubbed some of the diluted chestnut brown around the edges.


I asembled the panel as you see in the main photo, adding the affirmation from Lynne's Affirmations Set 6, stamped with Archival Potting Soil ink on a scrap of mixed media paper.

I hope you can enter as there's a prize of a voucher for the randomly drawn winner and there's tons of lovely goodies in the online shop.

Have a great day.
Fliss xx

9 comments:

Melina Dahl Minas kreativa said...

Wonderful piece 😍

Valerie-Jael said...

This a gorgeous and harmonious piece, love it! Have a nice weekend, hugs, Valerie

brenda said...

They are extremely nice mixed media cut outs Fliss, I can feel a crafty spend coming on here. Your creation is beautiful and the colours really do lend themselves to the whole vintage feel.

B x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Really gorgeous creation Fliss, I love the muted and vintage colours you’ve used too,beautiful
Hugs
Donna xx

Amanda said...

Lovely softness with this one, beautiful
Love
Amanda x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A beautiful colour scheme Fliss, I think you have capture the Vintage feel perfectly, the paper dolls and extra elements have brought your story together beautifully.
Hugs Tracey xx

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic stencilling, Fliss - and the delicate colour palette really suits the vintage photo. Love the delicate paint effects on the additional elements.
Alison x

StampedByBibi said...

This is so beautiful, Fliss! Love the colours so much, and the currogated die cuts are awesome! I want to try that. Thank you for sharing! ♥

Carol said...

Beautiful stencilling and colours a lovely project x